PAD is established to lead the implementation of the National Sustainable Development Strategy and manage international development assistance provided to Nauru.
PAD’s activities align with Cross-Goal 1: Strengthen and develop the institutional capacity of the Nauru public service
PAD’s vision, mission and values mirror those of the Department of Finance: Effective and efficient allocation of resources for the development of Nauru.
PAD Core Mandates:
- Oversight of the National Sustainable Development Strategy (NSDS) implementation through sectoral and agency plans
- Support the formulation of sector strategies and AOPs
- Primary coordinator of Official Development Assistance to Nauru
- Custodian of development funds
- Facilitate implementation of ODA-supported activities.
Nauru has recently updated its National Sustainable Development Strategy 2019-30.
The strategy outlines Nauru’s long term vision as ‘a future where individual, community, business and government partnerships contribute to a sustainable quality of life for all Nauruans’.
The central message is ‘partnerships for life’
In 2019, Nauru undertook a voluntary review of its implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals
The Government has seven long term goals for Nauru:
- Stable, trustworthy, fiscally responsible government
- Access to quality education, formal and non-formal
- Improved health and well being
- Provision of enhanced social, infrastructure and utilities services
- Development of an economy based on multiple sources of revenue
- Enhance resilience against the impacts of climate change that is inclusive of rehabilitating and restoring degraded lands
- Development of domestic food production for food security
The Government presents an annual development budget. Links to the most recent ones are below.